As a business grows, expanding into new international markets is an appealing next step. But successfully optimizing a website for international audiences requires an understanding of international SEO Services best practices.
With the right international SEO strategies, your content can start driving qualified traffic and conversions from around the globe. This guide covers key factors for international SEO success.
Why International SEO Matters
Reaching audiences overseas provides tremendous opportunities to grow your business and brand worldwide. Here are some of the main benefits of optimizing for international SEO
- Tap into new customers – There is huge potential in foreign markets looking for your products or services. International SEO helps you connect with these new customers.
- Stand out locally – Properly optimizing for each region makes your brand stand out against foreign (and local) competition in their countries.
- Strengthen authority – A global presence builds trust and authority with both international and domestic audiences.
- Drive more revenue – Expanding your customer base to different continents increases sales, transactions, and revenue.
- Future-proof strategy – Even if you don’t go global now, international SEO will pay dividends down the road when you do.
Optimizing your website for international audiences should be a top priority for small and large brands alike.
Key International SEO Factors
Here are the crucial elements to focus on for effective international SEO:
- Localized Content
Create localized website versions, pages, or content for each target country. Adapt content to be culturally relevant and translate text into local languages.
- Local Domains and URLs
Register country-specific domain names like example.fr, and example.de rather than using subdirectories like example.com/fr/. Use local URLs.
- Location-Based Keywords
Research keywords and questions specific to each location. Reflect local search behavior.
- Local Schema Markup
Use schema markups like local business info and local business hours to signal a local presence.
- Global Link Building
Build links, listings, and citations on country-specific directories and review sites to build trust locally.
- Mobile Optimization
Ensure site speed and UX are optimized for international mobile users. More than half of global traffic is from mobile.
International SEO Strategies and Examples
With those key factors in mind, here are some actionable international SEO strategies with real brand examples:
- Create Localized Content
BMW created country-specific websites with localized car models, pricing, contact info, and translations for 20+ markets. This boosted non-domestic sales.
- Register Local Domains
Booking.com uses domains like Booking.fr and Booking.es with translated sites instead of subdirectories. This earned over 1 billion visits annually.
- Optimize for Local Keywords
When researching keywords, Coca-Cola found that Spanish users searched “Fútbol” not “football.” Localizing keywords was critical for rankings in Latin America.
- Add Schema Markup
Starbucks displays opening hours, addresses, and contact info in schema markup so searchers immediately see stores near them.
- Build Localized Links
IKEA built local links by creating unique franchises, partnerships, and presences on local review and business listing sites per country.
- Focus on Local UX
H&M optimized sites for mobile speed and customized apps for different device preferences across markets, increasing international revenue by 35%.
Helpful International SEO Tools
Here are some top tools for managing global SEO efficiently:
- Google Analytics – Track website users, traffic sources, and conversions per country.
- Google Search Console – Submit sitemaps, and check indexing and performance per domain.
- DeepL – Translate text accurately preserving context and meaning.
- MozBar – View keyword data and backlink profiles by country.
- Majestic – Analyze which countries websites link to you from.
- SEMrush – Uncover international SEO opportunities with keyword and competitor data.
- Sitebulb – Audit technical SEO across multiple country-specific domains.
Key Takeaways for International SEO Success
Expanding your brand’s reach with international SEO is a smart long-term investment. But it requires dedication and cultural awareness to do it right.
- Research the competitive landscape and conduct keyword analysis for each individual target country. Don’t assume what works in one place will work everywhere.
- Regularly check search engine results pages for your important keywords in every locale to identify optimization opportunities. Monitor your rankings.
- Set location targets in Google Analytics to analyze performance by country. Look for trends around traffic sources, conversions, and user behavior.
- Adapt UI design for different regions. Optimize navigation menus, calls-to-action, forms, etc. based on what resonates locally.
- Don’t use automatic translation plugins. Adapt content for cultural relevance and maximum impact by having native speakers locally adapt them.
- Create connections with local influencers, brands, and publications and get authoritative backlinks from trusted sites in each country.